Thursday, May 29, 2014

Knowing what I do not know

  Definitely one of the stand out lessons that continues to hit me in the face over and over in all of my graduate classes, is how much I do not know! What might be more surprising is that I LOVE being made aware of my lack of knowledge. More so, I LOVE learning new information and I will be able to share with my students one day! When I began the ILP program, I could not have imagined how much I would learn about myself as a learner. Thankfully, I have discovered so much about myself that will benefit me in the classroom.

  Inquiry based teaching is a delicate procedural method to effective learning. A common misconception could be that inquiry based teaching simply means asking a bunch of questions. However, it is so much more than that! And it is actually important to learn the correct way to approach inquiry based teaching. In order to be good at inquiry, you must know the boundaries of your knowledge and the limitations and contradictions within what is known. Scientists are always looking for the point at which their theories fail to explain the world. As children are natural born scientists, it only makes sense to provide classroom instruction which fosters such tendencies.

                                        
 

1 comment:

  1. Well said! This has been a great class and very eye opening to what we really don't know. I feel like I saved the best for last because most of our classes have been about what we know, or what we are being taught to know, but science has focused on inquiry and the ways that we can foster inquiry in our classrooms, which is a great way for all of us to learn.

    ReplyDelete