Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Natural Gas for All!!

  WOW!! That is all I can say about the presentation from our guest speaker in class tonight! I literally knew nothing about natural gas (except that it comes from fossil fuels) before tonight. To say that I loved the presentation is an understatement and I am not even  taking into account the fire!

 I had no idea that there was such a wealth of information about natural gas. I enjoyed that all of the information was presented in a simplistic manner that was easy to understand. Fourth graders are not the only ones who need a little help making sense of the world! I especially enjoyed the map that showed all of the different pipelines that carry natural gas across our country. And I will say that I had a misconception: it never occurred to me that gasoline was not actually gas.

 During most of the presentation, I felt like a was listening to an expert scientist share information about his field and I forgot that the main purpose of the presentation is to educate and prevent gas emergencies. Again, this idea of making use of local resources keeps getting reinforced.There are so many resources, just outside our back door, waiting for someone to come along and make use of them.

 My only complaint is that I do not currently have a classroom full of students to share this presentation with. As a fourth grader, I cannot even begin to imagine how much I would have enjoyed a presentation such as this. I love learning about new things that I can use to help me create the best environment for my students in my future classroom!

1 comment:

  1. I was intrigued by the new developments in fracking/fracturing. I knew there are concerns about groundwater threats, but the use of nitrogen instead of water is interesting.

    ReplyDelete