Thursday, May 22, 2014

What is a plant?

    I began my investigation of this question by searching for the definition of a plant. That search lead me to begin a scavenger hunt for the characteristic of species classified in Kingdom Plantae. Let me tell you, I had the most difficult time finding a credible website that presented such characteristics in terms the average human could understand. Perhaps it was a user error and my "googling" skills are not as savoy as they should be, but I never did find a list of characteristics that I was satisfied with.

Plant: a multi-cellular organism that produces food through photosynthesis

    So let's move on...Is moss a plant? In fact, moss is classified with the bryophyta species of plants. Moss is non-vascular as it can not transport fluids through the body and must wait instead for surrounding moisture to do this job for them. Moss reproduces by spores, never has flowers and can be found growing on the ground, rocks, and other plants (like trees). Moss is a very interesting plant species. In fact it is likely that students hold misconceptions about moss so a lesson gear toward moss would fit nicely into a science curriculum. Before this, I did not think moss was a plant.


    Ten points for anyone who can provide a credible, understandably accurate version of the characteristic of Kingdom Plantae.

                                                

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo a moss chair! Betcha the Mad Hatter didn't have THAT one at his table! I like moss. It's pretty. :-)

    ReplyDelete