Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pop Quiz

       So I got 12/25 on the science quiz. I was honestly expecting to get more correct than that, but apparently I am not as smart as I thought. That is until I got to the bottom and saw the scoring rubric: 11-15 RIGHT : Well, you're so smart, why don't YOU teach my classes..... 

       I think I will continue to increase my content knowledge before I even think about teaching anyone anything about science! I am quickly finding out that most of my perceptions are wrong (and not just when it comes to elementary science curriculum). 

       I was most surprised by the question about why legs/arms fall asleep! I had always thought it had to do with blood flow but in fact it is due to a pinched nerve! Who knew?!

       I was also surprised by the question about Einstein. Teachers and adults always told me growing up that Einstein was not a good student. In fact I have often heard Einstein referred to when discussing students that do not try hard but are in fact apparently brilliant. All this time I have been buying into a total LIE!! 

       My favorite part of the journey to get my M. Ed has been that I continue to be humbled by how much I do not know. I love realizing that what I thought I knew does not even begin to graze the surface of knowledge on a subject. Every time I am reminded that I am no different than they children that I will teach - and that is such a valuable idea to remember.

2 comments:

  1. I was surprised by the Einstein question too. It seems that not everything we have be taught is always the truth, which helps us be more apt to investigate before telling our own students one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wrong about Einstein, as well. And we all need to increase our knowledge -- that's what we're here for! But the lesson that we can learn from this is that we never stop learning, and we should never stop pursuing knowledge. Even science nerds (raisin' my hand, here) still have a lot to learn about science. ;-)

    ReplyDelete