Thursday, May 29, 2014

How amazing is grass?!

  As new houses are being built all around me, there has been a great number of trucks filled with sod grass in my neighborhood. People pay good money for these squares of grass and dirt which is laid in a patchwork pattern across their yard. But it never fails within a month or so, with proper care, their yard looks a beautiful as the outfield at an MLB game.

 Really when you think about it, grass is a pretty amazing plant in our ecosystem! Sod farms exist all across they country. The sod is grown and then cut from the earth in squares that include the mature grass, roots and topsoil. Sod goes against what I have always learned about plants because it is able to continue living without being connected to the earth (for short periods of time). In fact, sod will last longer on a pallet if ground temperatures are below freezing! Again sod contradicts my perception of plants.

 There are all different types of sod that is grown, harvested and transported to home owners. It is becoming more common for individuals to choose sod that actually turns brown in the winter and comes back green in the spring and summer. Here we are presented with another interesting phenomenon, plants "hibernating" for winter. I am truly amazed by the science all around us and how remarkable our world continues to become!

                             

1 comment:

  1. I never thought about how much money people will pay for sod. But I'll bet it is a lot! I just throw seeds and hope they grow, haha!

    ReplyDelete